CCW Safe interviewed me about my Five Year Analysis of the Armed Citizen for a podcast recently. The emphasis of this interview was incidents in the home. It is now available to read and listen to.
In Self Defense – Episode 97: Claude Werner on Encountering Home Intruders – CCW Safe National … https://ccwsafe.com/blog/in-self-defense–episode-97-claude-werner-on-encountering-home-intruders
Significant points for me in the interview were:
- Timing of the incidents
- Misapplication of the Tueller Principle
- Distinction between self-defense and personal protection
- Accessibility of weapons
Here are some Home Defense examples that have occurred more recently. As always, there are Positives and Negatives.
- Positive outcome
- https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/09/20/69-year-old-woman-shoots-kills-home-intruder-north-olmsted/ This was what I call a “Downrange event” where the defender had to shoot an intruder with an innocent party downrange of the shooter.
- Negative outcome
- https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/911-caller-says-canal-winchester-husband-shot-16-year-old-daughter-because-he-thought-she-was-an-intruder-12-29-2021 Yet another sad incident where a father inadvertently shot and killed his daughter because of a failure to identify the target prior to pressing the trigger. Practicing to say, “Who’s there?” could save a lot of grief.
- Unprepared for the event Negative outcome
- https://www.koin.com/news/crime/husband-stabbed-killed-confronting-intruder-in-rural-marion-county/ Couple attacked at home; husband killed, wife injured, attacker still at large. Months later, no announcement has been made that a suspect has even been identified much less apprehended.
It is was an interesting interview and worth listening to.