Two men were beaten to death and a woman was seriously injured late Thursday [July 30, 2020] during an attack at a home in a gated Windermere community while a 10-year-old boy called authorities while hiding in a bathroom, police said.
Worthwhile items to note from the article.
- The attacker’s car had been identified as ‘suspicious’ earlier in the evening by the POlice but was not pursued when it sped away, per the Department’s policy.
- It is a gated community.
- The attacker pushed the gate open with his car.
- He was armed with an impact weapon, to wit: a baseball bat.
- The couple confronted him when he tried to steal a vehicle parked at their house.
- After killing the man of the couple and severely injuring the woman, he made entrance to the house and killed another person.
- The first man killed was the grandfather of the boy who hid in a bathroom and called 911.
- The second man killed was the father of the boy who hid in a bathroom and called 911.
- The killer attempted to commit suicide in the house afterward by drinking bleach.
Another version of the story. https://nypost.com/2020/07/31/boy-called-cops-during-home-invasion-that-killed-grandfather-uncle/
A home across the street is listed for sale at $699,000. It’s a ‘nice neighborhood.’ Note also that the crime scene is nearly to the end of the cul-de-sac. It is not the first house in the community the criminal would have encountered.
Initial and cursory analysis
- In every encounter, there is an element of chance
- Going outside your home to investigate a suspected crime is, literally, ‘looking for trouble.’
- If you go ‘looking for trouble,’ you should be prepared, both mentally and physically, in case you find it.
- Your presence will not necessarily deter a criminal.
- Contact and Cover does not apply solely to POlice work.
- Don’t assume that criminals think the same way you do.
If you would be interested in purchasing any of my shooting workbooks for handgun or rifle, they are available from the menu at the top of the page. As the American Insurgency escalates, you may find having a functional knowledge of the weapons you own to be useful.